It is often said that a smile is the most beautiful curve in a woman’s body. It is like an outfit always in fashion. A smile is reassuring, it gives hope and encourages.
for a while from a road traffic accident she had a long time ago. She has apparently been unperturbed until recently when her friends began to make fun of her, she said she was feeling so bad & could not even smile again.
Discoloured teeth is also common. There are different colours; I’ve seen brown to yellow to green to almost black. Some are from our diet e.g. from too much coffee, tea or chewing of tobacco. However, most serious types are genetic i.e. one is born with it. it has something to do with drugs taken during pregnancy e.g. tetracycline, drugs taken as a child (tetracycline too) or if one was very sick during pregnancy or as a young child. So take note: tetracycline should be avoided in children & in pregnancy. We can pass this message to our siblings & mothers.
- Proper tooth brushing involves brushing twice daily every day, after breakfast & last thing at night. Yes I said after breakfast. I know we have always known that you brush immediately you wake up, but we have been giving it a wrong approach all along. Let’s reason it together. If I brush last thing before I sleep, my mouth is fresh when I’m awake. I can just rinse with water, and then have breakfast. Then I brush after breakfast so I can properly remove all the soup or meat, be able to talk & smile confidently. Or what do you think?
- Then brush all teeth properly, from front to back. Do not be in a hurry when doing it. Your tongue should not be left out too, because most mouth odour originates from there.
- Also your brush is not for permanent use. It is recommended to change it once the bristles start to open. That’s like in every 3-4months. I know many of us are guilty of this. The thing is once a brush is beginning to open it doesn’t do its job any longer.
- Keep your brushes in an open place with lots of air preferably in a cup or brush holder with the handle downwards. Keeping the brush in a closed place doesn’t do any good. It helps breed Bacteria. Instead of cleaning, it introduces Bacteria into the mouth
- Also use a good paste. One that contains Fluoride. You can check the contents to be sure. Try as much as possible to avoid herbal paste.
- A medium strength brush is recommended. It is usually written in the brush container. A hard brush causes wear of teeth & leads to shocking teeth. A soft brush is mainly for kids
- Let’s avoid use of toothpicks. Yes I know it could be very sweet when using it, but it causes damage to the gums by opening space for food to hide & causes mouth odours. Instead, let’s make use of dental flosses to remove food stuck in between our teeth.