Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive university admission and financial aid application guidance, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa. Following the eight-day program, students will be paired with mentors who will help advise them throughout the university application process. There are no tuition, meal, or lodging costs for students to participate in YYAS.
YYAS is an official program of Yale University.
- There is no tuition cost to participate in the program. Lodging and meals will be provided for students who participate
- Participants will cover the cost of passport and/or visa, and transportation to and from the venue. They would also be responsible for any other expenses they incur during the program.
- Students from low-income background who demonstrate financial need may apply for a limited number of travel grants offered by the program. If awarded, the grant will cover the cost of round-trip plane ticket between a student’s home country and the program location. Students can only apply for travel assistance after they have received an offer of admission to YYAS. Please note that if awarded, the grant will NOT cover the cost of securing a passport or a visa, which must be obtained and paid for by the students.
- You must be at least 14 years old by February 12, 2020 in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between 15 and 18 years old.
- You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applicants from refugees living in African countries.
- You must be currently attending a school in an African country.
- If you attend school in Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest May/June 2021. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2020. Students who would graduate secondary school before August 2020 are NOT eligible to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
NOTE: All application components – including your teacher’s recommendation – must be submitted by the 12th February 2020 deadline at 11:59pm EST